Tag Archives: haul out

Haul-Out 2015

A retrospective from haul-out 2015.  A bit trickier than usual since we took the engine out last week.

Getting her all lined up and straps in place

Getting her all lined up and straps in place

suprisingly clean bottom considering how little she moved all summer!

suprisingly clean bottom considering how little she moved all summer!

Because of the nature of our trailer, getting her back on took some adjustments

Because of the nature of our trailer, getting her back on took some adjustments

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Projects

Haul Out

Those of you with children will be able to attest, that there is a sensation at haul-out time, not unlike changing a diaper.  When that hull comes out of the water, it ain’t going to be pretty, but can vary in degree from mildly unpleasant, to full-on nuclear mess.

Haul out night was beautiful, unseasonably warm for Cape Breton in November, and dry compared to the rainy forecast.  My father and I met Terry and his massive crane down at the Marina.   When we first got Indy, we had no idea how to get it in the water.  With such a large iron keel, backing it down on a boat launch would have been impossible, unless the person driving the truck was willing to get wet up to his bum.  It has to be lifted.  Either by these neat little boat lift trucks that they have across the harbour at the Dobson Yacht Club or the Northern Yacht Club, or by crane.

Just as we were getting started it began to pour, but Terry was still able to maneuver Indy up and around the lamp posts and gingerly rest her on the waiting trailer.  It was dark, rainy and late, we towed her up the hill, down the street, before backing her snugly in the driveway.

Only today was I able to get out and give a proper inspection of what was happening below the water line over the last five months.  I was also interested to see how the cheaper antifouling paint performed.

The first summer in the water, Indy was coated with an expensive antifouling paint that came with the boat. When we hauled her out in 2011, the hull was spotless, not a barnacle to be found.  This summer, Indy was sailed less, and sat in a calmer part of the marina, coupled with the fact that the paint we used this year was 1/4 the price, I was kind of nervous over what was going to be growing on the hull.

antifouling paint

I was pleasantly surprised by how clean the hull was.  With the exception of a thin layer of miscellaneous scuzz, it was pretty clean.  When painting the hull in the spring, I didn’t get the area under the jack posts, as is evident by the six, square shaped colonies of sealife.

I managed to get two coats on the hull.  The rudder however, only saw one coat, and what a difference a coat makes!

There is a rudder somewhere under all of those barnacles

The keel is over 1000 lbs of iron.    In spring 2011, I ground down a few rusty bits, and covered it with a product called POR 15 which apparently worked pretty well when I hauled out last year.  This year, it might be time for another session with the wire wheel, because as our mutual friend Niel Young can attest, rust never sleeps.

Rusty Keel

Rusty Keel

 

Tucked in for the winter

Leave a comment

Filed under Adventures